AEC Hackathon trends abroad
After launching at Facebook’s Silicon Valley headquarters in 2013, the AEC Hackathon has become so popular that its first-ever event held outside the United States in London over the weekend trended on Twitter.
“Wrap up of #AECHackathon London was the #2 trending hashtag in the UK Sunday behind British Open Golf Championship,” event co-founder Paul Doherty tweeted.
Check out the full Twitter stream here.
For those unfamiliar with Hackathons, they are basically events where computer programmers, software and hardware developers, graphic designers interface designers, project managers and others gather to solve complicated problems within a specific industry or theme. The gatherings are intensive sessions that draw on cutting-edge technologies such as augmented and virtual reality and often lead to new ideas and technology solutions. Sponsors usually provide cash and software prizes to the winning teams.
Registration is now open for the 10th AEC Hackathon at the University of Washington in Seattle in September. New York will host in October and check out this group trying to bring an AEC Hackathon to Boston.
Until then, congrats to all the London winners:
- Best Overall Project: Team Ghost BIM Squad
- Best Open Source Project: Team Optioneers
- Innovate UK Hack Challenge – Mind the Gap: Team Gapathon
- Autodesk Challenge: Team Ghost BIM Squad
- National BIM Service Challenge: Team Massive
- Future Cities Catapult Challenge: Team Gapathon
- Energy Savings Trust Challenge: Team Gapathon